The annual Modern Languages House Recitation Competition took place in the Main Hall on Thursday. This annual event sees students challenged to recite a piece of French or Spanish poetry with a particular focus on pronunciation, accent and diction.
Amongst the French offerings this year were poems by Carême, Prévert, Valery and Verlaine, whilst in Spanish we were treated to verses by Llanos, Machado, Carrasco and Monge – in short, quite a variety!
The competition was judged by teachers from the MFL Department, and despite s slightly reduced field due to the students being out of school there were 23 participants. All of the students recited very competently and with impressive confidence in many cases. All were rewarded with House Points and the winners are set to receive certificates and edible goodies for their efforts!
The winning House this year was Newman and the runners-up were Fisher. The results in each Year Group were as follows:
- 1st: Ieuan B (Newman House) – French
- 2nd: Arianna R (More House) – French
- 1st: Oliver S (Newman House) – French
- 2nd: Abigail T (Fisher House) – French
- 1st: Misha S (Newman House) – Spanish and French
- 2nd: Adam J (More House) – Spanish and French
- 1st: Maria S (Newman House) – Spanish
- 2nd: Patti L (Fisher House)- French
- 1st: Will G (Fisher House) – Spanish
- 2nd: Grace V (Newman House) – Spanish
Congratulations to all who took part!
Senior School | 20/03/2020